The curious tale of the lady in the photograph – Love Actually comes to LMA
Wednesday 27th November 2019, 18.00 – 19.30 (doors open at 17.30)
Huntley Room, London Metropolitan Archives.
From one of the earliest photographs at LMA (1848) we will trace not only the story of the young woman who was pictured and how the image became Exhibit A in a divorce case, but also the difficulties facing women seeking a divorce at that time, the history of photography and a supporting cast of JMW Turner and Queen Victoria.
Geoff Pick is a professional archivist and has worked at Worcester Cathedral Library, Lambeth Palace Library and the City of London Corporation, primarily at London Metropolitan Archives, since 2013 as its Director. Geoff was Chair of the Archives and Records Association of the UK and Ireland 2016-18 and has served as Chair of the National Council on Archives. He has also served on numerous archival and museum committees and working parties, and in December will take over as chair of the UK’s Archive Service Accreditation Committee.
Please note the seminar will begin with the Archives for London AGM at 5.45 pm.Doors open 5.30pm for Christmas drinks and nibbles.
Advance booking is essential. Please book your place through Eventbrite or by telephoning Alex Fisher (AfL Secretary) on 020 7594 8818.
Free for AfL members, £6 for non-members.
We have a whole host of exciting seminars coming up. Tickets are normally released on Eventbrite around one month before the seminar. Our membership secretary will email members when ticket sales go live. Seminars are usually held at the London Metropolitan Archives with doors opening at 5.30pm for a start time of 6pm.
Past Seminars include:
- 6th September 2018 – ‘Saved from a skip and selected in a Swiss chateau: the curious journeys of archive collections at the Charles Dickens Museum’
- 4th October 2018 – ‘The Extraordinary Records in the London Metropolitan Archives for the Rebuilding of St Paul’s Cathedral after the Great Fire.’
- 1st November 2018 – ‘Mapping history with The Layers of London Project: partnership, public engagement and the art of looking up.’
- 6th December 2018 – Archives of the Worshipful Company of Musicians.
- 23rd January 2019 – From Big Ben to the Liberty Bell: the archives of Whitechapel Bell Foundry.
- 27th February 2019 – Alderman Arnold fitz Thedmar – London’s first civic historian.
- 27th March 2019 – Is it really Albert’s Hall? How one woman’s determination shaped the evolution of the arts and sciences in South Kensington.
24th April 2019 – The Turner Bequest at the National Gallery.
- 22nd May 2019 – London Unspooled: Sounds from the Strongrooms
- 26th June 2019 -The Health of Children in Institutional Care in London 1890-1920
- 24th July 2019 – Maps, Minutes and Miscellany: a Museum Archive
- 25th September 2019 – London Metropolitan Archives Film Premiere
- 23rd October 2019 – Creating the V&A: Victoria and Albert’s Museum
We run workshops for professional archivists and archives users based on the needs of our membership. While we have none currently planned, we would like to hear from you if you have a particular skill or topic you would like to see covered. You can contact us here.